Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Letter from Faculty Member

"All machines have their friction; and possibly this does enough good to counterbalance the evil. But when the friction comes to have its machine, and oppression and robbery are organized, I say, let us not have such a machine any longer." - Thoreau

The following letter was forwarded to me last night and I wanted to share it. So many are expressing frustration with the ways in which their meager time to speak politely to those in power is treated as another opportunity for power to be exercised upon them - an abusive experience in and of itself. Those with power have forgotten the responsibility that accompanies it and that the power they hold is granted to them by US.

This was addressed to the full membership of the Board of Trustees; Dana Dunn, Provost; Charlie Maimone, Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs and member of the chancellor search committee; and Alan Boyette, Vice Provost.

-----

"If you have not already read the brilliantly written piece by UNC Chapel Hill Chancellor Emeritus, James Moeser, I would encourage you to do so posthaste. He gives voice to the very same feeling that is the current experience of many faculty at UNCG. I say many not without intention. The unhappy are no small group of malcontents and the discouragement that is felt is growing.

Forcing through a search for which there is only limited confidence will only accelerate the flight of faculty and staff and further erode what little belief there is that our voices matter. There is no reason to proceed in such a blatantly dismissive fashion, any efficiency of speed gained by bulldozing over the principles of shared governance is more than sacrificed to the ill will created and the profound trauma visited upon the body and soul of UNCG. 

Do not waste your breath pointing out to me that there have been numerous forums, websites, and other fictions of participation. I am not stupid, I know the difference between sincere listening and the patronizing pantomime in which I have been participating. I have never once felt that my words held weight with you, never in my life have I been so plainly disregarded and so defiantly ignored. 

There is an authoritarian attitude that simply cannot stand if what UNCG has been - and could be again - is to be more than a bittersweet memory. This isn't about money or resources, I've been on losing teams before and it has only challenged me to strive harder. This isn't Raleigh or the economy, the search for the new chancellor is us: right here, right now. 

You may not know who I am, but if you had been listening, you should. I have come to numerous Board of Trustees meetings, I have been to countless forums, I have given feedback and years of my life to this institution. I am one of the little people, no Chancellor Emeritus and not even tenured, but I am furious and refuse to be dismissed. The current top down process of ramming through whatever agenda is deemed necessary is not one that history has demonstrated as sustainable. 

We need inclusiveness now.

We need collaboration now.

We need sustainability now.

We need responsibility now.

We need transparency now.

Not later, after a new chancellor, after a five year visioning exercise. Not another technical answer to an ethical or philosophical question. Not another partial mailing list, closed session, or undistributed document. 

It's your turn. Now, show me what you're made of.

Hannah Rose Mendoza, MFA
Assistant Professor, Interior Architecture

'Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

-Dylan Thomas'"

-----

We're waiting...

1 comment: