Monday, December 22, 2014

Time is Unkind to Liars & Thieves

“I do not think it right either to keep the truth concealed or allow falsehood to pass.” 
– Boethius
Who I am is neither true nor false; it is unimportant. Sophie Scholl does not protect my identity, she makes it irrelevant and that is the point. It doesn’t matter who I am because this isn’t about me; this story is the identity that finds friend or foe.

Sophie speaks in a collective voice – she can speak for you too. Her aim is freedom of information, justice for those who are wronged, and support for those who would try to leave things better than they found them.

Sophie is also an inspiration. She spoke the truth in a time when the penalty for doing so was death. We who live in such happier circumstances must remind ourselves of her bravery when we frame our actions. The consequences of speaking and acting are far fewer than those that will come from silence. If those who can speak do so before then we will not need to expect the great heroism that would be required to speak and act after.

Let us concern ourselves with what the ones we know are hiding, not with who it is that speaks the truth.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the explanation. A local blogger and I had this conversation and I think he summed it up pretty well in his editorial comments (http://greensboroperformingarts.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-owl-is-watching.html). My meditation teacher has pointed out to me that just because I don't like something doesn't mean that it isn't reality. While it may seem like an apparent contradiction for people to ask for transparency anonymously, the sad fact is that vulnerable people at UNCG need a platform, not a person. Stay staff, stay active, stay true.

    ReplyDelete